zaterdag 24 maart 2012

Beit Zait Lake and a great loaf of bread

Today we went for a wonderful walk to the Dam just outside Jerusalem. This Dam was build in the '50's when little was known about the soil's characteristics, in order to save rainwater so much needed in Israel. After completion of the Dam it turned out that the water flows through the soil into the Wadi and the expensive engineering project turned out to be a fault. Nonetheless, after the rain season, the lake fills up with enough water for Jerusalemites to make a Saterday outing to it and picknick near the water.

And so this morning, my husband Kfir and I, as well as Kfir's sister and her fiancee took some food and water and went for a wonderful walk.
As we approached the lake, more and more cars and people came on our way, and in the end we decided to picknick in the nearby forest. For this occassion I made Lepard's Cherry, Fennel & Rye Loaf, one of this months' Mellow Baker's selection, as well as our daily multi-grain sourdough bread.

This Cherry, Fennel & Rye Loaf is the first bread I make from Lepard's "The Art of Handmade Bread". I was a bit reluctant to try his method of bread making, as the bread is made completely by hand and I so much like just to put all the ingredients into my Bosch, but it turned out it's not too much work. I used the sourdough as described by Lepard, which is still a very young sourdough and I just love the smell of it. I converted it to rye-sourdough by just feeding it rye instead of wheat flour.

I also made several adjustments to the bread.
I didn't have Cherry's, so I used raisins. I left out the fennel since we didn't have any and also I forgot to put the poppee seeds on top.
The dough didn't rise very well and my scoring is horrible (I still haven't got the catch of it), but the taste was wonderful.
Because of the cooked rye grains it has a great bite, and the taste is just amazing.
Being used to Hamelman's recipes, I was a bit disappointed to be left with one small loaf after all that work, so I'll make sure to next time make at least double portions. Because, yes, there will be for sure a next time to this bread.

Mellow Bakers started this month, so whoever wants to join in is more than welcome!

Have a great week!

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Congratulations on posting the first bread in this challenge!

    I am currently looking to see if I can find these dried cherries... I have a week's leave coming up and hope to start baking then.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Looks lovely from where I'm sitting! your fruit is beautifully distributed inside the crumb, and I would love a slice with some of your fine chèvre to go with it - what a great picnic :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. That looks like a lovely loaf, Naomi. I must say that seeing this in April's selection made me nervous; my first thought: "I'm sure a slice of it will be nice, but when will we ever eat it? Will it make sandwiches?" But yours does look very nice, and I'm now feeling inspired by your picnic. I'm still leaving it till the end of the month, though!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen